It’s not easy going back to school after a fun-filled summer. I remember from when I was a kid, but more, I see it every morning during these last few weeks as I try and drag my kids out of bed, into clothes, and to the bus. Here are a few ideas of how to make this transition time less miserable…maybe even fun!
- Remind your kids that they still have the weekends. Have them look forward to Saturdays and Sundays by having them help you plan little day trips. (Last week we went to Six Flags Over Georgia!
- On a particularly difficult morning, set out an ice cream sundae buffet on the kitchen table. Make it healthy with frozen yogurt, fruit toppings, and granola! (We did this on the first day of school, but it’s also great if a birthday fall out midweek.)
- “Forget” to pack your kids lunch and then swing by school later with fresh slices of pizza.
- The day doesn’t have to end at 2:30 when school is out—bring you kids (and even a few friends) to the mall for a few hours and let them roam around like they did in the summer. (Cumberland Mall and Lenox Square Mall (both in Atlanta) are great for roaming.)
- Help your kid’s class organize field trips, like to the local zoo or aquarium. Volunteer to chaperone if that will help the cause. (I’ve already volunteered for Zoo Atlanta and the Georgia Aquarium—must start saving up my lunch hours…no one said back to school was easy for mom!)
And for mom—take advantage of the fact that your kids are going to bed a little earlier and take a bubble bath or catch up on your reading. Or, go to sleep early yourself!
Filed under: Atlanta, GA, Kids Travel, Shopping Days, Zoo / Animals | Tagged: 3d Cg, Atlanta Happenings For Your Enjoyment, Atlanta Visiting, Back 2 School, Comparison Shopping, Cultural Mall, Fun Shopping, Ice Cream Sundaes, Mom's Club, Outlet Mall, Shopping For Fashion, Shopping Notes, Shopping USA, Sitebuilder, Travel & Shopping, Zoo Atlanta | Leave a comment »