Posted on January 14, 2009 by Peter Brody
Just because it’s cold and nasty out, it doesn’t mean you need to put away your clubs until the sun shines hot again. Sometimes a bit of a challenge—but who says that makes it less fun?—winter golf can still be your #1 form of exercise, entertainment, and social time. People in the Northeast or Midwest tend to forget that the rest of the country just does not get as cold, so we just need to get a little creative about where we play. (i.e. Places like Boston or Minneapolis just may not make the cut.) When in doubt, just go to Hawaii.
MSNBC ran an article last year about America’s 10 best winter golf resorts, and I think you’ll find the info to still be quite up-to-date and helpful. Here are the ten they recommend:
- Pinehurst Golf Resort – Pinehurst, North Carolina
- Grand Cypress – Orlando, Florida
- Lake Las Vegas – Las Vegas, Nevada
- La Quinta Resort & Club – La Quinta, California
- Bay Hill Club & Lodge – Orlando, Florida
- Inn at Palmetto Bluff – Bluffton, South Carolina
- Kapalua Golf Club – Lahaina, Hawaii
- Kiawah Island Resort – Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Sea Island – St. Simon Island, Georgia
- The Boulders Resort – Carefree, Arizona
Filed under: California Dreaming, Florida Vacation, Hawaii Travel | Tagged: Golf Cart, Golf Course Communities, Golf Getaways, Golf Resort, Golfer, Lahaina, Lake Las Vegas, Las Vegas Nevada, Luxury Resort, Luxury Vacations, Mens Golf, Natureplex, NC Vacations, State Library of Western Australia, Top Destinatons, Top Twenty, Winning Picks | Leave a comment »
Posted on June 8, 2008 by Sharon Parson
I’m SO frustrated! We were just in the Tampa area and were choosing between a few beaches in the area and DIDN’T go to Caladesi Island State Park Beach. And NOW, only now, do I read that Dr. Beach rates Caladesi Island SP as the TOP beach in America!
Caladesi Island is a barrier island north of Clearwater (which is not far from Tampa Bay) with white sands, crystal clear, steel-blue Gulf waters, and forests filled with birds and wildlife.
Stephen P. Leatherman (a.k.a. Dr. Beach) makes a list of the nation’s best beaches every year, and I ALWAYS look at, but for some reason it escaped my mind this year.
The other beaches in the top ten for 2008 are:
- Hanalei Bay Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Siesta Key Beach, Sarasota, Florida (which is also not SO far from Tampa…grrrrr.)
- Coopers Beach, (Southampton, New York)
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Main Beach, East Hampton, New York
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
- Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
- Beachwalker County Park Beach, Kiawali Island, South Carolina
So no big deal…just next time I need to check the list before heading out to the beach!
Filed under: Beach Bum, California Dreaming, Florida Vacation, Hawaii Travel, New York, NY | Tagged: 2006 Turin, Beach Walking, Caladesi Island, Cape Hatteras, Ocean Scenery, Ocean Shores, Ocean Waves, San Diego California, Sarah Parsons, Sarasota FL, Southern California Attractions, Top 10 Or 20 Or 100 Lists, Top 8, Top Destinatons, White Sand | 2 Comments »